Sunday, August 23, 2009

Tomatoes Preserved in Spice

I'm not too sure if this is a jam or a chutney. I'm not a big fan of sweets anymore, the result of being a teenage sugar-junkie, but I am a sucker for the subtle fructoses of summer. Tomatoes are a prime example - they are sweet enough to be treated as fruit, but they hold their own at a salad bar. For me, the perfect sweetness.

I've been toying with the idea of a tomato chutney/jam for a few days now, as many of my coworkers will confirm. I've been going through archives, forums, any online resource imaginable. All this not in a quest to distract me from work - no, it was something bigger than that. It was the quest to find the perfect, not too sweet tomato spread.

While I refuse to suggest that this is the Alpha & Omega of tomato preserves, it works our pretty well for me. It has a Carribean temprament, and enough spiciness to make it forgiving. If you want less heat, add less chili.

Tomato Preserve
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 Tbsp ginger, minced
1/2 Tbsp garlic, minced
500 g tomatoes, chopped
3 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp corriander
pinch cinnamon
pinch ground cloves
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1 chopped chili pepper

Sautee onions and olive oil in large saucepan until golden, add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat & allow to simmer for 75 minutes. Place in cans & preserve if desired.

Makes ca. 1 cup.

I know that my preserves are not lasting more than 2 weeks. In fact, I'll see how much of the jar is left after tonight.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Mmmmm, sounds delicious! What do you like to eat it with?

taste traveller said...

I had it last night with grilled chicken. I think i'll serve it with anything off my grill.

Cathy said...

This looks awesome! I would put a dollop on top of an omelette. I hear ya on not craving sweets - it's the last thing I reach for normally. Cheese on the other hand....

taste traveller said...

ooh - omelette! Good call!
Cheese: I understand. There's this magical place I know of that I call Cheeseland - you'd love it!

Erica said...

This sounds delicious! That will be nice with tostones or patacones (fried green plantains).

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin