Monday, August 24, 2009

Captain Pell

Here in Germany, there is a decided lack of seafood. From an ecological standpoint, this is great - the over fishing of species is not promoted and the consumption of local fish is in the foreground. In theory, a great idea. In practice, I miss shrimp, lobster, oysters and crab. During the recent trip to North America, I made a stop in Fairfax Virginia to visit Captain Pell. His crab shack has been on Highway 50 for over 30 years, selling fresh Maryland bluecrab to those slightly inland. They seem to even have a truck to transport the goods, in an emergency, ambulance-like hue.

My companion, the trusted local, has always preferred crab cakes to a plate full of crustaceans but joined me nonetheless in our crab feast. It wasn't so much of a feast - it was a crustacean extravaganza.

We were told to reserve a table on weekends & to ask what's best that day. We arrived on a weeknight and didn't have a reservation. I don't know what the wait is like on weekends, but there is Donkey Kong Junior in the lobby to keep one busy. I imagine, however, that there must be a line to play.

That day, the large crab were the best catch, so we ordered a dozen of those. A dozen crab between 2 people is quite an accomplishment, especially considering neither of these 2 people are particularly gifted in the art of eating a crab.

We took the legs off, smashed open the claws with a wooden mallet & dipped the meat in apple cider vinegar. Then we took to prying open the main shells. After pulling off the gills, we pulled the meat out of every chamber. In the process, we ended up with some pretty mangled hands.

A fun meal, a fun place but I'd be so happy if there was a nail salon next door.

Captian Pell in Fairfax, VA. Click here for more info.

5 comments:

Cathy said...

When you are landlocked there is something about hitting the coast that is just truly awesome! I eat nothing but seafood once I'm there :)

taste traveller said...

Cathy, I think you'd love it there. The lack of pretense and the abundance of seafood (clams, shrimp & oyster also available) make the place a delight.

Q. said...

Do it! Do it! Wordpress is fab:) I'm digging it so far and liking the more streamlined, professional look. Took a lot longer to learn to maneuver it, but I think I've got it!

Murasaki Shikibu said...

You had a crab festa. :)

YUM....

taste traveller said...

Murasaki: it was so much fun! Until we hit the point at which we were full but still had to finish :-)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin