Saturday, August 1, 2009

Banana, Be Gone!

I thought I was going to use my bananas for some smoothies. I guess I was right, but this was more of an emergency situation: I've been noticing fruit flies & I want to eliminate any potential habitat. I have this theory that fruit flies bite. They're so little that no one would really notice. They don't have vampire fangs or anything.

Every now & then, I buy fruit. I don't really know why. It's good for me, it's full of vitamins, but I'm more of a vegetable girl. The fruit I buy sits on the counter & looks very pretty & gives guests the impression that I've grown out of my university years, when the diet consisted of Dr. Pepper & Mr. Noodles. (Why, if I was so well acquainted with them, were we never on a first name basis?) Often the fruit simply waits until it's time has come, in a painful, real-life sort of 17th century painting. A reminder of the passage of time. That sometimes leaks.

It was to be the deforestation of my kitchen counter. The bananas and the mango were about to go. I had some ginger, a whole lot of mint (that lives outside & is allowed to have as many fly friends as it likes) and a little bit of white tea leftover from breakfast.

Banana Mango Smoothie
2 ripe bananas
1 ripe mango
2 thumb sized pieces of ginger, peeled & cut into chunks
7-8 ginormous mint leaves (or more, if your mint is not a mutant like mine)
1/4 cup cool white or green tea
10-15 ice cubes

Mix everything in the blender. Pour into glasses. Garnish with more mint.

As I tried to photograph the drinks, a big bee-like insect came out by & hovered nearby. I think I'm better off without this insect attraction. I'm certainly better off for having actually eaten my fruit, instead of having an artistic reminder of the passage of time on my counter.

14 comments:

Murasaki Shikibu said...

hmm...yeah the fruit flies are a problem and they love bananas. Great idea to make them into a smoothie and drinking them up though. :)

taste traveller said...

I think this is the reason i seldom buy bananas.

Justine said...

I like the idea of adding white or green tea!

E. Lee said...

Yum! I'm always confused when I go to my girlfriends' apts. and all they have is plums, bananas, apples, peaches, grapes, ect. in their refrigerator. I feel like I should be kicked out of the Girl Club. But I'm glad to have a kindred spirit in you, Good Sandwich.

taste traveller said...

Justine: it was a leftover extravaganza!

Ms. Lee: likewise. I'm still thinking of your pulled pork post.

Cathy said...

I ate bananas this weekend while camping....granted they were in the blender with the pina colada mix ;)

taste traveller said...

Cathy: I think that's the only way I could handle camping! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I love buying fruits but then forget to use them..and just end up feeling horribly guilty when they discolor. Smoothies are a great idea anyday. That seems the only way to get my 3 year old to eat her fruits.

Your picture looks awesome TT...its gotten me SO THIRSTY !

Erica said...

What a delicious drink! Great for summer.

Marta said...

I better get smoothie-ing myself too... I'm buried in fruit flies!!!!!
This looks delicious and satisfying, a lovely breakfast of post-workout snack!

Tangled Noodle said...

What a great idea to use tea! [Sigh] I really need to replace our blender because I'll keep missing out on making great smoothies like this.

taste traveller said...

MTC: I bake or blend fruit that looks a little off but is still good.

Erica: Thanks!

Marta: that would require a workout, in order to have a post-workout! ;-)

Noodle: I only have a hand blender (space restrictions) They're small, fit in a drawer, you can use it to puree a soup in the pot - just plain handa! ;-)

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

NICE! I love your presentation for this. Simple and lovely. Sorry to hear about all those insects, though! ;P

taste traveller said...

Little Teochew: Thank you! I thought the insect problem was solved until I saw a fly on my monitor last night. Winter will come soon enough!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin