Saturday, August 8, 2009

For the Next Family Get-together

A while back, I had to visit the family. It wasn't a happy circumstance, but sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do. Afterwards, it's much better. Because it's family, and in spite of everything, you have been spoiled. If only because you spoiled yourself.

I spoiled myself. The last time I was home, I saw a bottle of Canadian Club whiskey at the duty free store in Pearson airport. While I normally buy Canadian Club there, this one was special. This was not the 12-year old CC Classic, it was the special edition. To celebrate the 150th anniversary of Canadian Club, they released a 30 year old special reserve. At the time, I thought that $180 was WAAAAAaaaaaaaaaay too much to pay for a bottle of anything. But I kept on thinking of that whiskey. A few months later, I was still thinking of it, and considering how much money I saved on the flight, well, it's a steal. Right? Right?

As said, I normally drink the 12 year old Canadian Club Classic. For Christmas, I got the 20 year old. It was smooth. The 30 year old, smoother. Mild, fruit notes, vanilla, general yum. I was into it. I don't know if I'll be buying any more any time soon, but it made the best of the situation. I hope there are no simmilar situations coming up soon. My credit card might break soon.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean about 'the family' !

I'm a scotch kinda girl btw...& thanks for the know how on canadian club...I can use it for a bit of impressive conversation sometime :) ...

Cathy said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm - there's got to be some "extra" benefits to visiting the family :) My parents retired to the Okanagan - right smack in the wine capital of Canada!

Cathy said...

And sorry about the not so pleasant circumstances :(

taste traveller said...

MTC: I've never got into scotch. I had a Japanese "scotch" last night though... interesting... ;-)

Cathy: I've never been to Okanagan but I hope I'll be posting on Niagara county soon. Only place in the world with ice wine every year!
Thank you for the condolences. Very kind!

Murasaki Shikibu said...

I used to be a single malt whisky girl but now I drink vodka. :p

Amanda said...

I can relate to what you said about family, as well. :)

My friend has a blog about whisky; you might be interested: http://www.thespiritsafe.com/

I love that second picture!

Tangled Noodle said...

I usually leave the spirits to the husband but you've got me interested in a sip of this!

taste traveller said...

Murasaki: I've never been into the single malt but a good vodka is great. I tried this Estonian brand, Y2K (yes, I'm a computer nerd) which I'd love to find here.

Amanda: WOW! Your friends blog is crazy. That's devotion!

Noodle: It's really just about having a sip. I couldn't imagine myself having a second glass.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin