Thursday, August 27, 2009

Some Meals Fail

Being experimentative is good. Trying new things is good. Gathering ideas from other sources is good. Tonight, I have come to the conclusion that following recipes written by people who must produce new recipes every week might not be so good.

As an avid reader of The New York Times food section, I have appreciated Mark Bittman's writing style, as well as his ideas. They have inspired me to adventure on in the kitchen, making adjustments here and there to suit my palate and my pantry. Today, I decided to make noodles, shrimp & some sort of veggie. It just so happened that I had all the ingredients for the Peanut Noodles with Shrimp from last week's column. I thought that the addition of sugarsnap peas would be good. I am also believe that shrimp with the heads on add more flavour. These were my only 2 variations on the above recipe. The result: less than satisfying. Yes, we ate our dinner but it just wasn't that great. Maybe it's the concept of peanut sauce, maybe it's a lack of right spices, I'm not sure, but it wasn't a repeat for me. I think I'll just wing it next time.

There is no posted picture of tonight's production. Because no matter what you do to them, noodles in peanut sauce just don't look that good. And in this case, they didn't taste that great either.

6 comments:

Cathy said...

Nothing pisses me off more than being excited about something and then it tastes off. I do like Bittman's writing style too - one of the more enjoyable columnists.

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

Guten Tag! I love your style of writing, and I couldn't agree more with your post title. I've had so many failures I should really have another blog chronicling all of it. LOL!

taste traveller said...

Cathy: he is enjoyable but sometimes I think he's a little arrogant. Still, I read him every week.

LT: Danke! Thanks for stopping by & for the compliment! I know there's a site with failed photos but failed dishes would be interesting too! :-)

Amanda said...

I hate when that happens! It's especially frustrating when you hardly ever follow recipes...

taste traveller said...

I consider this a lesson: never follow recipes! :-) (Who am I kidding, the next time I try to bake a cake, I'll have my nose in a cookbook)

Erica said...

I can't follow a recipe!!!!That is one of the reasons I don't like to bake :)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin