Wednesday, July 22, 2009

So Long, my Fair Avocado!

Avocados are more difficult to find here that in North America, and they are often unripe in the store. They need to wait on the counter until that perfect moment arises - but sometimes, I'm too late. That was the case with this green trooper.

I realized that it's finally time to send off the avocado on my counter, but I wanted to do it right. I think I bought this avocado to take with me to work - it was supposed to be my out from cafeteria food. I had high expectations of it and I let it down. It needed to make it up to the avocado. I wanted to give it a Mexican avocado in-tummy-ment. The best way to do this, I thought, was Mexican burgers, with homemade salsa & guacamole.



Mexican Burgers
250 g ground beef
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp chopped garlic
1/4 tsp chilli pepper
1/4 tsp paprika

Mix all ingredients together. Allow to sit for 30 minutes. Shape into patties & grill.

Salsa
150g red & yellow tomatoes, seeded & chopped
2 tsp chopped fresh coriander
1 small red onion, chopped finely
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp lime juice
1/2 tsp or more chilli pepper, depending on taste

Add all ingredients together, allow to marinate for 30 min.

Guacamole
1 dying avocado (must be very ripe)
1 small onion, chopped
1 tsp chilli spices (mix of cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, chilli powder)
2 tsp lime juice
salt & pepper to taste

Mash all ingredients together.

Arrange burgers on a tortilla, cover with guacamole & salsa & try to eat.

It was a fun tribute to a fruit that held so much expectation. It still has a comrade in the fruit bowl. I will take him to the hallowed halls of my office tomorrow. Maybe not. Maybe the dying plants on my desk will scare it too much.

6 comments:

Cathy said...

Look at you with the burgers!! I may have to give up my burger queen title :) Nothing better than guacamole on a burger - it happens more than I care to admit at my house. I buy them hard as a rock and then suddenly they are no good. Hmmm I was planning on a salad for lunch, but now I'm thinking it may just be a burger.

taste traveller said...

Cathy, I wouldn't abdicate just yet - I don't think anything can top the pizza burgers! You could always go for a salad with avocodoes - that was my plan. Of course, I failed miserably ;-)

Erica said...

I posted a hamburger today too :)
Your looks wonderful! Avocado is one of my favorite vegetables. Great recipe.I have to try it this one for sure.

Murasaki Shikibu said...

I love Mexican food including Guacamole so your Mexican burger gets my vote. :)

Tangled Noodle said...

That is such the dilemma with avocado: having to wait until they ripen! It's all about timing, isn't it? 8-)

This burger is just so delicious-looking! I love the spices you've used and adding guacamole never occurred to me, but it's something I will definitely try.

Sorry it's been ages since I've been by; I'm working out a new 'system' so that I can keep up with all the great blogs like yours!

E. Lee said...

I think you laid your avocado to rest in a thoroughly delicious and respectful manner. When it's my time, I want to go out on a bed of grilled, beefy goodness, too. :)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin