Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Find the Fungus

Sometimes, I know what things are called in German but am oblivious to their English names. Until recently, this was the case with Mu-Err mushrooms. As I saw a package of them in the store, I was surprised to learn the English name: Black Fungus. When choosing an English name, they should have had a marketer involved. Or maybe they should have paid the translator enough money to care. I didn't think that I would be buying black fungus, but the Chinese masseur told me that it's good for something. I can't remember what, I just know that I should be eating it. Black Fungus. Yum.

It doesn't taste too bad, actually, I like both the taste as well as the texture, although I know it turns most people off. Today, I'm making a wonton soup with hidden Mu-Err mushrooms - I'd rather call them that than the unappetizing, unfortunate English name they've been given.

Wonton Soup with Hidden Black Fungus
Wontons
300g ground turkey
3 green onions, chopped
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp minced ginger
1 tsp sesame oil
3 Tbsp chopped black fungus (make sure it's rehydrated!)
1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp black pepper
wonton skins

Broth
1 tsp oil
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp minced ginger
4 c chicken broth
1 carrot, finely sliced
3 Tbsp thinly sliced black fungus (again, make sure it's rehydrated, following package directions)
1/4 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp oyster sauce
1/2 tsp soy sauce
3 green onions, chopped

In a bowl, mix all wonton ingredients except wrappers. Fill wrappers with 1 tsp at a time & pinch into pouches. Set aside.

In a saucepan, gently sautee garlic & ginger in oil. Add carrot & stir until softened. Add chicken broth, mushroom, sesame oil oyster sauce & soy sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer.

Gently drop wontons into a separate pot of boiling water. Allow to simmer for 5-6 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer wontons to broth. Garnish with green onions.

A light broth with turkey instead of pork, plus supposedly healthy mushrooms makes me feel as though I'm doing good things for myself. I know there's less fat, more liquid (always good) limited carbs, and a bunch of minerals. Now if I only knew what those minerals were good for & why the Chinese masseur recommended I eat them, that'd be even better.

5 comments:

Cathy said...

HAHAHA - I saw find the fungus and automatically thought of hide the salami :) Shows you where my mind is at today!

taste traveller said...

:-D That's too funny! Actually, I once made dinner for a vegetarian friend & forgot that I added ham to the tomato sauce & then I just started inviting him over for rounds of "find the meat" - still kinda like hide the salami ;-)

Murasaki Shikibu said...

The wonton looks good to me. I normally use these types of 'mushrooms' in Thai salads. :)

taste traveller said...

I'll try that. I soaked too many of them, so I think I have to use them up by the end of the week & I'm not sure what the workaholic will eat them in. Thanks for the idea! :-)

Wic said...

this looks delicious. I love Mu-Err mushrooms. I like the name Wolken-Ohr-Pilz(cloud-ear-mushroom) and Judas Ohr.
sounds more like something to eat.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin