Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Snail-Speed Ahead!

Last year, on a rainy evening, I was walking down a country road. My companion, a city-boy with a softspot for animals, saw something on the side of the road, in the grass. It didn't look like a worm. "What is that?"
"Oh my God, it's a tasty!"
"A tasty?"
"An escargot. A Weinbergschnecke. A snail. Put them in garlicy butter & Mmmm!"

Later on that same walk, we found an abundance of escargots. If we'd had a bag (or a clue) we would have picked up all the snails we saw & eaten them. Later, at home, of course.

We sat down and thought about farming our own snails. There are not too many relevant online resources available, unless you are in Nigeria & want to do it for financial reasons. I am in Germany and I want to do it for gastronomic reasons. Or because I like to have my own little experiments, I'm not sure which.

Until the day that I can harvest my own snails (or at least feel confident enough in my knowledge to cook the snails I find in the springtime on my own) I will make do with the frozen ones I find in the freezer section of the supermarket. They're kind of cute - they come in a little wooden basket & are in the shells.

The only thing that I have of my own which is worth sharing is the pseudo-snail-pan I create out of tin foil to prevent the snails from rolling around while in the oven. I just wrap foil around the shells in a labyrinthine manner to lend them a bit of stability. The garlic butter stays put, and it's all a little treat with a crusty bread, a salad and a bottle of white wine. The sort of special-casual meal that invites you to sit a while, snack & exchange agriculture ideas.

4 comments:

Cathy said...

Yum! I love escargots and recently hooked my little brother on them too. Hard to find here - even frozen so have to make due when we go out to eat. I really like the tin foil labyrinth idea....that could also work for my stuffed mushrooms.

taste traveller said...

I knew this post would somehow be helpful! Unfortunately, I can't get my city-boy to touch "fungus" - yet he'll eat snails...?

If you're really hard up for escargot, you can always try mail order. Or, if my farm succeeds, I'll send you some! ;-)

Cathy said...

I wonder what S would think if I started a snail farm ;) I'm sending you good snail breeding vibes :)

Murasaki Shikibu said...

There are lots of these around my area, but I think you need to feed them a special diet before you eat them (and make sure they don't have anything foul tasting, smelling or poisonous). So like you I'll just have to buy mine. ;)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin