Thursday, May 21, 2009

Black Bean Soup

I just got back from Amsterdam (more on that later), today is a holiday, and I think I need to clean my fridge. Sometime last week, before I left, I had the clever idea of soaking black beans. I think I wanted to cook them that night, or maybe even the next day. In spite of the fact that I have been trained to listen & speak in different languages simultaneously, I am not capable of cooking 1 dish & remembering what I want to do with black beans at the same time. I had a black-bean-out. Thankfully, they were packed in water & what appears to be the hermetic seal of a tupperware container and were still good when I got back. I promised to make lunch this afternoon, and this is what I made.

Coconut Black Bean Soup
olive oil
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1 cup soaked black beans
600ml chicken stock
200 ml coconut milk
mint or coriander to garnish

Sautee garlic & spices in pot. Add soaked beans. Add liquid. Bring to boil, allow to simmer for 45 minutes. Blend. Put in bowl, garnish with coriander or mint, and any extra coconut milk, if you have it.

I used mint as a garnish. Later on in the day, I discovered that I had coriander in the fridge, that is remakably still good. If I had only known...

I will post on Amsterdam later, but frankly, I was a little disappointed. I love The Netherlands but I did not love Amsterdam. I will also get around to sharing more about ham & eggs.

6 comments:

Murasaki Shikibu said...

This is a great recipe because I'm always looking for ways to cook black beans which weren't really a part of my diet as a child. Black beans are very easy to get in Spain and I've got all the other ingredients so I might try making this next week. Thanks for posting this! :)

Cathy said...

Amsterdam is not my favourite city - I prefer the south (think Maastrict, Rotterdam). Your soup looks delicious!

Justin said...

this looks good. I love topping black bean soup with some toasted torn-up tortillas for a little texture variety.

taste traveller said...

Murasaki: Glad to help! Hope you enjoy it! :-)

Cathy: I've had great times in Leiden and around the North Sea coast. Amsterdam was OK - more than anything the conference sucked and I was a little let down by the Indonesian food & the fact that I couldn't find horsemeat. Had some good Wasabi gouda though!

Justin: Of course! But I prefer toasted pita to tortillas - just a preference, I guess.

Cathy said...

Wasabi gouda???? oooooooh damn I'm jealous.

taste traveller said...

Cathy: had I known where to get any, I would have bought some. I'd even mail you some! Unfortunatly, it was the last night there at a reception in the Hilton. My hotel certainly didn't have any :-(

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin