Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Christmas Cheer - Market

I was at the Christmas market earlier this week, which is always good fun. Hot mulled wine (Glühwein) a warm bratwurst, potato pancakes with applesauce and browsing by the stands selling handmade wares. Local pottery, handmade leather goods, scarves and candles and crystal fill the old town for 4 weeks. I'm not there for the presents, I'm there to socialize with people and drink some Glühwein to keep warm. Frankly, I prefer warm fruit punch with a shot of rum, but the Glühwein isn't bad either.

The are a lot of tourists here on a normal day, and even more come for the Christmas markets, especially on the weekend. They don't have a tiny BBQ to grill bratwursts, they have a more industrial setup, ready to feed many mouths.

I'm north of 49°, which means that it gets dark at around 4:30pm. The lights of the Christmas markets might be a little bit kitschy but 1) Germans invented kitsch & 2) it's less depressing than in January.

The pyramid actually spins around, like the tiny ones my parents would put out when I was younger. It has "famous" figures of Heidelberg, none of whom I can recall. The main thing is, it is on top of a stand that has a lot of tables to meet people and have a hot drink.

3 comments:

Wic said...

I love kitschy. wir in Ludwigsburg haben den Barock Weihnachtsmarkt.

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

Oh, it is getting festive (and cold), isn't it? I loved my travels in Germany, so many years ago. Time to revisit, you think? ;) Thanks for the lovely tour.

taste traveller said...

Wic: klingt toll! Ich glaube nicht dass ich es schaffe dieses Jahr noch hinzufahren aber ich merke es mir!

Ju: Glad you enjoyed it. And, yes, it is certainly time to come back to visit :-)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin