Monday, December 21, 2009

Blood is Thicker Than Stock

This is not a vegetarian soup. The reason is pretty easy: I needed a thickener for the soup but was out of cream. I remember going to dinner a while back & one companion ordering warm blood sausage and liverwurst. At the time, I didn't find the combination of sausage & warm very appealing. I still don't, to be honest, but it reminded me that blood sausage falls apart when warm. I thought it might be the last touch that I needed in an otherwise bland pumpkin soup. I didn't have any cream, so why not?

Result: very tasty, not meaty, subtle depth and no leftovers.

1 pumpkin, cooked in 1 L broth, spices to taste. Cook until tender, add 1 Tbsp blood sausage & puree.

3 comments:

Murasaki Shikibu said...

I like blood sausage (morcillas anyway). Don't know why some people make such a fuss about it, i.e. eeek aahhh eeek! ;) I'm sure your soup was better with this additional. It can impart a very nice rich taste.

Cathy said...

I don't mind blood sausage at all! I even got the goddaughter to try black pudding with me last weekend - it was all well and good until someone told her what the "black" was......you would've thought we were leading her to the gallows.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

This soup look thick and yummy!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin