Monday, December 21, 2009

Blood is Thicker Than Stock

This is not a vegetarian soup. The reason is pretty easy: I needed a thickener for the soup but was out of cream. I remember going to dinner a while back & one companion ordering warm blood sausage and liverwurst. At the time, I didn't find the combination of sausage & warm very appealing. I still don't, to be honest, but it reminded me that blood sausage falls apart when warm. I thought it might be the last touch that I needed in an otherwise bland pumpkin soup. I didn't have any cream, so why not?

Result: very tasty, not meaty, subtle depth and no leftovers.

1 pumpkin, cooked in 1 L broth, spices to taste. Cook until tender, add 1 Tbsp blood sausage & puree.

3 comments:

Murasaki Shikibu said...

I like blood sausage (morcillas anyway). Don't know why some people make such a fuss about it, i.e. eeek aahhh eeek! ;) I'm sure your soup was better with this additional. It can impart a very nice rich taste.

Cathy said...

I don't mind blood sausage at all! I even got the goddaughter to try black pudding with me last weekend - it was all well and good until someone told her what the "black" was......you would've thought we were leading her to the gallows.

Sonia said...

This soup look thick and yummy!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin