Sunday, November 1, 2009

Pumpkin Potstickers with Sage Butter

Last night was Halloween, and I took some short cuts so I could wait for the Great Pumpkin.



They say there's a way for lazy people to make ravioli: use wonton wrappers instead of making your own pasta. I think that this is some sort of punishment for being lazy because wonton wrappers are for making wontons. Maybe other Asian dumplings. Not ravioli. Every time I have tried using this little short cut, I have ended up with some sort of failure. I believe the reason they recommend wonton wrappers to lazy people is to prove that if you want a good product, you have to put in the effort, so make your own pasta!

Luckily, I realized before my fragile packets exploded in a pot of boiling water that this was not going to amount to much. I reshaped my ravioli & decided to go more of a potsticker route. I kept the same seasonings (they were already in the mix) and I stuck to my plan of sage butter. I'm actually quite content with the results. They may have been a little greasy, but I think that's the problem with a butter sauce.

Pumpkin Potstickers with Sage Butter
300 g pumpkin, steamed until it falls apart
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp oregano
salt & pepper
20 - 24 wonton wrappers
oil
1/2 c water
3-6 leaves of sage, sliced
2 Tbsp butter
1/4 c white wine

Combine pumpkin, nutmeg, garlic, thyme & oregano until well mixed.
Place 1 heaping teaspoon of pumpkin mix onto a wonton wrapper, pulling together the sides & sealing with water as needed. They should form a little pouch.
When all potstickers are done, heat oil a pan over med-high heat. Add pot stickers for 2-3 minutes, covered, until brown. Add water, replace cover & allow to steam for a further 2-3 minutes. Add sage, and butter until butter melts, pan covered. Add white wine & allow the wine to evaporate.

I had these for dinner, sat back & waited to The Great Pumpkin to come. He didn't make it this year. Perhaps because I killed one of his kind. I'll know for next year.

9 comments:

Murasaki Shikibu said...

I used to make something like this with pot sticker wrappers which I now make from scratch. My pumpkin filling had Amaretto, salt & black pepper in it and I grated Parmesan cheese over it. Basically it was cheating my way out of making pumpkin tortellini properly.
The sage butter really sounds good. :)

Megan@Feasting on Art said...

The flavors sound so perfect for autumn. Yum!!!

Sonia said...

This look so yummy, Thanks for sharing.

Rebecca Cull said...

What did the workaholic think about the potstickers? They look yummy.

taste traveller said...

Murasaki: I'm all about the cheating. I call it culinary multiculturalism.

Megan, Sonia: thanks!

RC: He ate them. They were a little too greasy (read: not so much butter next time, please) and he seemed content. Another vegetarian meal I slipped past him!

kiss my spatula said...

you had me at pumpkin and sage butter! beautiful photos!

Anncoo said...

This is a creative shortcuts!

Erica said...

Fantastic pictures!Looks delicious.

Tangled Noodle said...

I think this looks fantastic! The sage butter sounds perfect and I've also used wonton wrappers for 'ravioli' before (I'm definitely in the 'lazy' category!) Hopefully, the Great Pumpkin has a short memory about one of his own ending up in your potstickers! 8-)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin