Monday, October 19, 2009

Plantain Pancakes


Living so far away from home, I sometimes forget and idealize certain things. Recently, I found some plantains in the store & excitedly called my mom to ask what I should do with them. "Why on earth did you buy plantains?" was the reply. Apparently my mom was not the link to plantain pleasure. I think it was a friend's mom or grandmother. Someone from either western Africa or India. Maybe even South East Asia. The benefit of growing up in a multicultural city was going to friend's houses for food.

Recently, I bought some more plantains, convinced I'd find a use for them. I ran into a friend on the way home from grocery shopping and we compared. I had riper plantains than she did but she had something I didn't: a plan. Pisang Goreng - fried plantain in Indonesia and Singapore. She just slices her ripe plantains, dips them in batter & fries them and has them as a snack with tea. I'm not a big fan of dipping things into batter, so I just made pancakes with a coconut sauce.

Plantain Pancakes
(Pisang Goreng)
2 ripe plantains (skins should be black)
1/4 cup flour
pinch salt
oil to fry

Peel plantains, mash with a potato masher. Add flour to create a batter-like consistency.
Drop tablespoons into hot oil. Fry until there is a slight caramel-crust. Turn once. Drain on paper towels.

Coconut Sauce
1/4 c grated cocnut
3 Tbsp coconut milk
1 small red chili, chopped
1/4 tsp coriander seeds
1/4 tsp mustard seeds

In a small bowl, add coconut, coconut milk and chili. Allow the coconut to absorb the liquid. Roast seeds over medium heat until the mustard seeds pop. Add seeds to coconut. Serve with plantain pancakes.

I was happy with the result and will be making this again. This time, when I find more plantains in the supermarket, I'll be calling my friend over for a snack. Then I'll tell my mom what to do the next time she sees plantains.

10 comments:

Cathy said...

MMMMM...I love plantains but have never cooked with them. Time to go on the hunt for them I think.

Erica said...

I am a big fan of plantains!We have a lot dishes in Colombian cuisine with plantains. I love them green or yellow are fantastic. Your recipe sounds great! I will try it that one soon:)

taste traveller said...

Cathy, these are easy, a nice intro to cooking them. Erica: i'd love to see what you do with the green ones!

Anh said...

This is so tasty! I cannot find plantains that easily though. :(

qutins said...

In the southeren part of india, we dip them in batter and fry them and have them with tea too. That is so cool to see that other countries do the same. The batter is made with all purpose flour, water, pinch of salt and some sugar if you like, its thick so it coats the ripe plantain and then deep fry, yum!!

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

LOL, loved your lil anecdote on calling mom ;) Oh, these look absolutely super! Rich in taste and very yummy, just by looking at your ingredients. Well done!

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Sounds delicious. I can even buy those things here. :D

Anonymous said...

so yummy looking!

taste traveller said...

Ahn: :-( Maybe you can try Bananas? I think I'll be trying that this weekend.

qutins: Thanks for the tip.

TLT: My mom taught me so much, and she still teaches me stuff.

Murasaki: :-)

Oneshotbeyond: Thanks - also for stopping by!

redmenace said...

I can't believe you found plantains at the store. That's great. These look delicious!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin