Monday, March 23, 2009

If I can't speak Spanish...

...then at least I can try my hand at Spanish cuisine. I was watching TV the other day, a show called Cuisines des Terroirs, where they show a family in a small village in Europe; how they live and what they eat. Recently, a Catalonian family was showcased, and the grandmother made Arroz a la Catalana, a dish simmilar to paella but with no saffron or seafood.

Strangely enough, I have never had a good paella in Spain. There is so much other food to savour and most of the paellas in the main areas are frozen. So why not just make a regular "Arroz con whatever"? Well, because I needed a better grain than white rice. I found some quinoa in the kitchen and made a Quinoa con Pollo y Gambas. (This is about as much Spanish as I speak - enough to get through a menu). The phone rang, and the normal Sunday chats with the family followed. My Quinoa simmered away nicely. I wanted to take photos but hunger prevailed and now there are mere leftovers in the fridge.


Quinoa con Pollo y Gambas

2/3 cup washed quinoa
2 chicken breasts, cubed
2 cloves of garlic
1 Tbsp Ghee (clarified butter)
1/2 red pepper, diced
1 1/3 cup hot water
1 pinch saffron
8 large shrimp, cleaned

Sautee garlic in ghee, brown chicken, add quinoa and let toast lightly. In the meantime, add saffron to the water & let steep. Add the saffron water to the quinoa. Let this soak. Reduce heat, stir occasionally, talk with family on the phone. Add red pepper & shrimp, remove from heat & continue speaking to family. While conferencing with parents & siblings, allow shrimp to cook in risidual heat.

I'm having those leftovers tonight.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin